OHIO CITY-MARKET SQUARE LANDSCAPE REDEVELOPMENT —On May 1, 2013 Brickhaus Modern Lifestyle Developers proudly donated to the Ohio City community six new "Cleveland Select Pear" tree's along with coordinated bench plaques to commemorate the event.
Each Cleveland Select Pear tree symbolizes either a key Ohio City stakeholder or event which has effectively shaped one of Cleveland's most vibrant and beloved neighborhood's. Furthermore, the Ohio City-Market Square Landscape Redevelopment symbolizes Brickhaus's commitment to Cleveland as a world-class city offering some of the finest cultural institutions, museums and neighborhoods around.
FIRST MAYOR OF OHIO CITY—Josiah Barber (1771 – 1842) is linked with many “firsts” in Cleveland, Ohio. He was the first mayor of Ohio City when it was a separate locality from Cleveland, built the first brick house in the area, and co-founded the first manufacturing business within current day Cleveland. Barber was also one of the men who began the fresh market movement in Ohio City. It began with an open air market and then Barber gave the land to the City with the stipulation that it remain a market – over 100 years later, the West Side Marker is the premier fresh market in Northeast, Ohio.
OHIO CITY FOUNDER—Richard Lord (1780 – 1857) is closely tied to the founding of Ohio City and the greater Cleveland area. He is the earliest property owner on record in Ohio City; his land, over 320 acres, extended from the Cuyahoga River to what is now West 117th Street. Lord was Josiah Barber’s partner in founding the first manufacturing company in Cleveland: The Cuyahoga Steam Furnace Company. He and Barber worked to divide and sell the land in order to promote growth on the current West Side of Cleveland. Lord was the second mayor of Ohio City, beginning in 1843.
RECIPIENT OF 1918 PULITZER PRIZE—James Ford Rhodes (1848 – 1927) is a Cleveland native with international ties. He attended the University of the City of New York and the University of Chicago but never received any degrees. After spending several years in Paris studying metallurgy, French literature, and history he returned to Cleveland to help with the family business: Rhodes & Company. After retiring, Rhodes wrote a seven (7) volume book on American history called History of the United States from the Compromise of 1850; for this monumental accomplishment he received the Pulitzer Prize of history in 1918.
"TOP FIVE" BEER CITIES IN THE UNITED STATES—The Brewing Industry has long standing roots in the Cleveland community and more specifically in Ohio City. German and Bohemian immigrants opened the official first breweries in the city during the 1840s. Carl Gehring opened the Gehring Brewery in 1852 on the corner of what is today Gehring and West 25th Street. Nearly 70 years later, Cleveland had over 25 different breweries in operation including Leisy Brewing Co. (3400 Vega Ave.), Standard Brewing Co. (5801 Train Ave.), and the Pilsener Brewing Co. (Clark & W. 65th). The industry experienced a slow decline between 1920 and 1984 when the last original brewery closed its doors. In 1988 breweries began to return to Cleveland with the opening of the pioneering Great Lakes Brewing Company and today Nano Brew, Market Garden Brewery and Buckeye Brewery have brought beer back. Today the city has come full circle, was rated one of the Top 5 Beer Cities by GQ Magazine (2012), and celebrates over 170 years of world-class beer.
THE "ORIGINAL" WEST SIDE MARKET—The Pearl Street Market was the original location of the West Side Market and is the current location of Market Square Park, on the corner of Market and Pearl, now West 25th Street. The Pearl Street Market began as an open air market until The West Side Market was designed and built by Hubell & Benes on land donated by Josiah Barber and Richard Lord. The West Side Market cost $680,000.00 to design and build in 1912 and has undergone many renovations since that time. It is the city of Cleveland’s oldest publicly owned market including over 100 vendors, some of which have been in their market stands since the buildings construction in 1912. The West Side Market has become a Cleveland tradition that dates back to the Pearl Street Market, founded in 1836.
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES—The Irishtown Bend is a small strip of land directly along the Cuyahoga River from Detroit Avenue on the North to Columbus Avenue to the South. This area had become heavily populated with Irish immigrants living in the area while working on the docks of the Cuyahoga River, who became a major force in the settling of the West side of Cleveland. In 1929 the city approved a plan to widen the Cuyahoga River, making it more navigable for larger ships but forcing the community to relocate. Today the area, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a testament to the important contributions of the Irish community on the development of Cleveland - F. J. O’Neill kept baseball in Cleveland by purchasing the Cleveland Indians,and Stephen S. Creadon and John T. Feighan helped fund the Standard Brewing Co., one of the first breweries in Cleveland.
All information came from the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History, administered by Case Western Reserve University.